Buist Academy has a proud history of educational excellence. This year promises to be a rewarding one as we build on our past success and embark on a new journey of growth and possibility.
The Buist Academy Foundation’s mission is to advance and strengthen the educational experience for students and the greater Buist community. It’s a volunteer-driven, non-profit 501(c)(3) created to serve and support the children, educators, and families of Buist Academy.
The Foundation seeks to organize and utilize the time, treasure and talent of our families to help make Buist the best school it can be for our children. We hope you will join us and be a part of our efforts to achieve excellence.
Please see our Volunteer Page for opportunities to help with programming throughout the school year. Click here for our Buist Volunteer Form.
Each year the Foundation raises $100K to support our students, teachers, and administration, and we work closely with our principal, Mrs. White, to determine what those needs are. This typically translates to funding elements of education that the district and the state are unable to provide. We focus our efforts on four primary areas: Academic Enrichment, Student Life & Community, Teacher Support, and Facilities.
Funding highlights from last year include:
Academic Enrichment: $31,564
Head phones for classroom and testing use
Online learning programs: NewsELA, Discovery Education, IXL
Teacher & Staff Support: $28,000
Teacher Appreciation Week
Monthly Teacher/Staff Awards
Teacher Stipends for after-school activities
Hospitality- Holiday gift baskets, etc.
Student Life & Community: $14,700
My School Everywhere Directory
School Events/Programs: Special Persons Day, Commencement, World Cultures Day
This fall the Foundation has spent more than $20,000 to support the following school programs:
The Foundation also plays a critical role in organizing and managing parent volunteer led programming and events throughout the year. All programs have co-chairs who work with a committee to organize and implement the program/event.
Program Descriptions include:
- Open House provides an opportunity for parents and caregivers to enjoy an evening at school, engaging in teacher presentations in the classroom and offering a time for conversation about the upcoming year. Unfortunately, we were not able to do that this year, but we are extremely thankful for all of our families and we welcome our new families!
- Special Persons Day gives students the opportunity to bring friends, grandparents or others to the school for the morning to showcase their work and experiences. Friends enjoy meeting teachers and sharing refreshments with their students.
- Teacher Appreciation Week is all about celebrating our fantastic teachers! Volunteers provide food and gift baskets throughout the week to thank our teachers for all of their hard work and dedication.
- Graduation is in June and celebrates our 8th graders as we send them off into the world of high school. There is a special ceremony with awards, speakers and a reception for families afterwards.
- Quarterly Coffee Hours is an opportunity for Mrs. White and teachers to share more about the IB program or other school related topics, and it’s also a great way for families to get to know one another. We hope to resume this program soon.